Elevated and timeless, featured in SF Cottages & Gardens, this distinguished residence was expanded to 5625 sq ft in 2015 by a family and redone by the renowned Sutro Architects, Lauren Nelson Design, mat slab foundation & structural by Holmes Group and built by Upscale Construction who took this turn-of-the-century home and created a blend of Parisian architecture and contemporary finishes that make up this masterpiece with light-filled floors, elegant details, 4 bedrooms, 5.5 bathrooms, elevator to all levels and views to Pacific Heights and the top of the Golden Gate Bridge. Sophisticated and inviting, the formal spaces flow with a California ease into the casual spaces accommodating both high-style, indoor-outdoor entertaining and cozy family gatherings.
A custom-made chevron paneled front door and foyer with hand-chosen dark grey Pietra marble set an elevated and inviting tone for this home. A graceful stairway with hand-crafted newel posts is a marvel of modern stairwork with delicate details that takes one to the main level where custom crown moldings and warm oakwood floors laid in a chevron pattern are reflections of the elegance and details found throughout this extraordinary home.
The main level of the home has a dynamic floor plan primed for both formal and informal living. Sophisticated yet intimate, voluminous, yet cozy, the formal living and dining rooms articulate an understated elegance showcasing a polished, dark grey, Pietra marble fireplace, tall sophisticated Bonelli windows and inlaid paneled woodwork with custom cabinetry.
The generous patio with sliding glass doors is a seamless extension to the south facing great room which allows for indoor-outdoor entertaining. The show-stopping chef’s kitchen is centered around a rectangular waterfall island with counter seating for informal eating. Integrated appliances are set flush against matching custom cabinetry, designed as both art and function. It showcases bookmarked Calcutta Oro marble countertops, ample cabinet space with walk-in pantry, appliance storage with power, Subzero refrigerator, wine fridge, Wolfe cooktop, both conventional and steam ovens, two dishwashers, and cocktail/coffee station that serves both the main kitchen and dining room.
The bedroom level has three bedrooms and three baths (two en-suite) and laundry room. The primary suite captures southern views to Pacific Heights and Russian Hill through oversized windows. The primary bathroom is outfitted with Waterworks fixtures, offering a deep soaking tub, a shower for two, and a large walk-in closet. Two additional bedrooms, one en suite, complete this level.
The top level features the “Royal Suite” where one can drift away and enjoy the pleasures of the deep soaking Victoria + Albert clawfoot tub or lounge and let the views of Pacific Heights and Russian Hill from the large deck inspire endearing memories of vacations. Its large luxurious bath is finished with custom tiles sourced originally from Denmark, dual vanities and a separate shower.
To the north is a home office with a large deck and peek-a-boo views of Golden Gate Bridge. Custom built-in desks, bookshelves and center island workstation for creative projects and crafts covered with pietra gray marble island finish this room.
Next to the elevator, a closet houses stairs that lead to the roof and offers the future option to build a deck with spectacular views of the Bay, Alcatraz, GG Bridge, Presidio, SF Skyline.
The garden level is an indoor hideaway of flexible space offering a wealth of entertainment options for everyone. It features an independent multipurpose or media room, which could serve as an additional bedroom/au-pair suite, a full bath, a wet bar with dishwasher and refrigerator, mirrored work-out room with glass sliding doors for privacy, an elevator serving all levels, wine room with built-in metal racking ~800 bottle capacity, and A/V closet with Savant home automation.
The beautifully landscaped garden designed by Megan Van Linda Design is a peaceful secret garden oasis featuring verdant green lawn, built-in fireplace, outdoor speakers, a fairy hut/outdoor playroom space for the children and a custom-designed mid-century modern chicken coop which was home to four chickens, providing a taste of country living.
Set in a prime Marina location close to Chestnut Street, Crissy Field and proximity to Marin, the Wine country and beyond. This residence with well-proportioned façade, a nod in its design to the traditional Marina architecture, is unassuming of what lies behind this meticulously finished home with Parisian sensibility and views from the upper levels to Pacific Heights and top of the Golden Gate Bridge.
DETAILS / AMENITIES
- SF Cottage & Gardens featured article about 45 Capra Way on 7/5/17 – https://www.cottagesgardens.com/step-inside-a-parisian-inspired-san-francisco-home-2/
- Marina District home expanded and redone in 2015 with 5625 sq ft (per graphic artist) on a 142 ft long lot (per tax records)
- 4 bedrooms
- 5.5 baths (3 en-suite) with 3 bedrooms on same level
- Located near Chestnut Street proximity to the Marina Green with easy access to Napa
- Redone by renowned Sutro Architects Lauren Nelson Design
- Built by Upscale Construction
- Mat slab Foundation and structural by Holmes Group
- Thoughtfully designed for a family as their “forever” home with every detail thought out and no expense spared
- Peekaboo views of Golden Gate bridge and spectacular views of Pacific Heights
- Beautiful Mediterranean style facade punctuated by distinctive Bonelli windows
- Transitional interiors inspired by Parisian chic design and elevated elegance
- Main level with paneled walls – beautiful chevron hardwood floors and custom crown moldings
- Chef’s kitchen with a waterfall island covered with Calcutta Oro marble
- Coffee or cocktail station adjoining the formal dining room
- Wolf-Subzero appliances include refrigerator – cooktop – oven – steam oven – built-in wine fridge – hot water dispenser
- Open floorplan that leads to deck and backyard perfect for in and out entertainment
- Lower level media room (or optional additional bedroom/au-pair suite) – workout room – full bath and wet bar with dishwasher and refrigerator
- Fully mirrored work out-room with glass sliding doors for privacy
- Wine room with built-in metal racking ~800 bottle capacity
- A/V closet with Savant home automation
- Custom-designed open stairs connecting all floors with skylight at top
- Beautifully landscaped – private garden with outdoor speakers and fireplace
- Backyard with fairy hut/outdoor playroom and chicken coop which was home to four chickens – providing a taste of country living
- Elevator connecting all four floors
- Radiant floors
- 2-car tandem garage
- 3637 sq ft lot (per tax records)